Most of Landon’s knowledge about how to execute a boundary survey was learned in the school of hard knocks, or slowly absorbed over the course of two decades. It shouldn’t be this hard for young land surveyors to learn how to properly execute boundary surveys – from start to finish. Existing textbooks on boundary surveying teach the principles of boundary resolution or other isolated topics related to boundary surveying. What none of these textbooks do is teach you a step-by-step workflow for how to execute boundary survey. That type of workflow is exactly what Landon needed (and didn’t have) when he started my career as a boundary surveyor.
The book “Practical Boundary Surveying For The Modern Surveyor” will be just such a book. It will teach the young land surveyor how to properly execute boundary surveys, from the first step (identification of the subject parcels) to the last step (preparation of survey deliverables). The book will be in full color with lots of diagrams, exhibits, examples.
Practical Boundary Surveying is being crowdfunded because the book in its final form will be released under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. That means it will be freely available to land surveyors around the world – and to all future generations of land surveyors! When you become a contributor, you will be helping make this book available at no cost to young land surveyors – forever!
Become A Book Contributor
You can become a contributor using this page at our online store. The price to become a contributor is $150 (US).
What You Get As A Contributor
Here is what you get as a contributor to the campaign:
- A PDF copy of each book chapter as it is finished.
- Lifetime access to the audio/video versions of each chapter.
- Access to the 4 “Extra Bit” Chapters.
- Access to the chapter exams and study guides that help you use the book chapters to train your team.
- Downloadable checklists for each step in the boundary survey workflow.
- Listing as a contributor in the book.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can’t afford to contribute to the book, there are a few other ways you can help:
- Tell other people you know in the surveying industry about the book and the funding campaign.
- Volunteer as a beta-reader or editor for the book.
The Book Table Of Contents
- Chapter 1 – Step #1: Identify The Subject Parcels
- Chapter 2 – Step #2: Determine The Resolved Boundary Matrix
- Chapter 3 – Step #3: Figure Out What Needs To Be Surveyed (Deed Land Description Analysis)
- Chapter 4 – Step #4: Land Records Research
- Chapter 5 – Step #5: Filed Survey Map Review
- Chapter 6 – Step #6: Field Surveys
- Chapter 7 – Step #7: Evaluation of Evidence
- Chapter 8 – Step #8: Boundary Resolution (Resolution Of Controlling Elements)
- Chapter 9 – Step #9: Create Preliminary Linework
- Chapter 10 – Step #10: Check For Gaps And Overlaps
- Chapter 11 – Step #11: Check Physical Occupation
- Chapter 12 – Step #12: Create Final Linework
- Chapter 13: – Step #13: Preparing Survey Deliverables
- Appendix 1: Assessing and Communicating Uncertainty
- Appendix 2: Dealing With Conflicts
- Appendix 3: Preparing Your Search Drawing
- Extra Bit 1: The Resolved Boundary Matrix – Two Examples
- Extra Bit 2: Evaluation Of Evidence – Two Examples
- Extra Bit 3: Deal With Unwritten Rights And Clouds On Land Title
- Extra Bit 4: The Role Of The Preliminary Land Title Report